I found the article The Silenced Dialogue to be perhaps the most interesting of the articles that we have read so far— it reminded me of the conversations we had about Diversity and Achievement during the summer institute.
Question:
Given what we have learned in this article, what is the answer for a teacher who does not know the language? Frankly, after reading the article I am grappling more than ever with what I am likely doing wrong, how inaccessible the information might be because of my lack of cultural knowledge, etc. I especially found myself puzzled by some of the conversation on the implications of language in culture of power versus a culture without the nuanced language that I am accustomed to speaking with. (34). I often find myself asking students questions like “What should you be doing to get on green again?” or “How does a Rocketeer behave?” in my classroom management. The idea of indirect adherence to rules that Delpit spoke of is something that I think I struggle with—should I just be more direct to help these children? Or is not helping them at all if I am not using the language of the culture of power?
Quote:
“The rules or codes I’m speaking of relate to linguistic forms, communicative strategies, and presentation of self; that is, ways of talking, ways of writing, ways of dressing and ways of interacting. [3.]The rules of the culture of power are a reflection of the rules of the culture who have power” (25) This piece of the article- listing off the attributes of the ‘culture of power’ stuck with me in a particularly strong way. It is something that I often feel so conflicted on—am I being entirely disrespectful to their ways and culture in my lack of awareness? Our school emphasizes the importance of the culture of power, but what will happen when the ‘power’ this children are getting will inevitably clash with the cultural ties of their families and community?
Comment:
There is so much on this article that was really valuable—it caused me to think back on my own cultural associations, inherent power possessed, etc. I have recently experienced some frustration in terms of student/home/family lives so I think this unit could not possibly come at a better time for me. I am still trying to adjust and learn more about the community that I’m teaching in—I sometimes feel like the biggest outsider among the staff since I do not even speak the appropriate language and I think that drives an inherent divide between myself and the students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i think your reflections really begin to speak to the following:
what does it mean to be a teacher in this community (and have the power inherent in that position) as an individual who has internalized and succeeded within (and because of) the culture of power?
not an easy thing to think about...and there are no easy answers.
Kate, where specifically is it that you feel this disconnect between yourself and your families? After reading your reflection, I began to think about all of those teachers whom I saw especially in Alum Rock who do not represent the culture of the community in which they teach. It was very and I mean very rare to see a Latina teaching in that district. Most schools that I used to sub teach at were mostly comprised of teachers and administrators who were outside that cultural group. I firmly believe that even when you feel like there is this huge disconnect or barrier in terms of culture or language or socioeconomics, one powerful truth stands out to me: you have chosen to teach and you have chosen to teach in a community that is outside of your own familiarity. YOu could have picked another route to take in your pursuit of becoming a teacher, but inside you knew that the greatest need is in communities like ours. I know that your families have a lot of respect for you and your decision to be part of this movement, and I don't really think that there is as big of a disconnect as you may think!!!
Post a Comment