QQC
Q:
I'm still trying to find my bearings with Spelling. I was glad to have Peggy in my room last week to check out how I was teaching spelling, but totally bummed when my students still did NOT do well on the spelling test that week. I don't want to lower my expectations to give them easier words, especially since I know the other first grade class is making an okay average with the same words. So, I've been wondering what's going on with my teaching that is impeding their learning... what are they missing that they need? How can I explain things better to them.... which leads me to my question that I still have on the spelling instruction portion of writing instruction. This article talked about teaching students to monitor and check their own spelling (p. 135), but how? I have them switch papers before they hand their papers in to me sometimes. They are set up at table groups with High-Med-Med-Low, so in theory, they should be getting extra support. But so many of them are phonetic spellers that they think 'in' really is the way to spell 'and', or 'hows' truly is the way to spell 'house'. I encourage them to read the room, use their word wall... and am instituting vocab sheets in writing folders for my bottom 4 or 5 kids per class. Still, when checking their spelling, it is only my highest 10 (Spartans) and maybe highest 2 (Highlanders) that can catch and correct the majority of spelling mistakes. I guess what I'm trying to ask is... How do I do a 'monitor and check' in spelling without pulling out dictionaries or wasting time for my ELLs, lower kids, etc? How can I make the spelling check work for them during or at the end of writing workshop?
Q:
"Under the modeled writing method, the most teacher-directed approach, the teacher writes in front of the students, creating the text, and controlling the pen. Even more importantly, the teacher constantly "thinks aloud" about writing strategies and skills. This approach allows students to hear the thinking that accompanies the process of writing. Those thoughts may address choosing a topic, organizing your ideas, using a plan to write your rough draft, removing repetitive information or proofreading to fix grammar."
I pulled this quote out to remind myself to do this more. I'd say I think aloud maybe only once or twice per week when writing. I'm better about doing it when writing than reading too, so that's not a particularly great sign. I NEED to do this more... I often model 'mistakes' to make sure that they catch them too, and to remind them to reread each sentence to make sure it makes sense. I need to do this more in both areas as we move into narrative writing-- I know it's crucial to their development as writers, but also important as a think-through and a re-tell of the directions for my ELLs.
C:
I think it's especially beneficial for me to spend some time reading about and working on Writing Strategies, and I appreciated having differentiated readings this week. Several veteran teachers told me, going into this year, that writing was a place where they really struggled their first year. As a result of having that information, I've tried to make it something that my students do every day (I think we've only not written twice this year so far), but at the same time, I know that I'm not giving them ENOUGH instruction in writing. It's happening, but not at the depth I want it happening-- and that is totally a result of me not knowing enough and not using my resources enough. I've finally started instituting Step-Up to Writing (although last week it was a lame, somewhat halfway attempt) and I'm planning on spending more time on writing in December... this is an area where I plan on working with my mentor teachers a lot. Writing is both rewarding and challenging for me-- for some students, I'm seeing so much more progress in reading than writing, and the opposite is happening as well. For my ELLs, it's frustrating to see parts of speech all mixed up, yet phonetic spelling on target.
On another note, it was great to go back through and read something from the TFA literature that we had this summer. Honestly, I don't remember all too much from what we read.... mostly because I was reading it on a cross-country flight where the idea of being a teacher in four months was really, really abstract and still didn't seem all that possible. It was so much more applicable now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Over the summer, I struggled with my second graders on writing tremendously. Many of them were thoughtful in their verbal responses to questions, but they were unable to collect their thoughts on paper. I feel like spelling was one of their biggest road blocks to get the pen on the paper. Many of them would sit around and dilly dally when they couldn't spell a word instead of simply moving on and getting as much down on paper as possible. As much as spelling is important - I'd emphasize that it is always something to come back to and check later during a different phase of the writing process; that way they don't get stuck.
I am also curious as to what other obstacles you feel like will present themselves with writing for you down the road. Do you have a sense yet of what your students struggle with?
All your questions about spelling have really got me thinking. I have very little knowledge about spelling instruction-- but what's definitely harder is being consistent and teaching the students to monitor their own spelling, like you discussed. I try to get my students to look up misspelled words using the resources they have, but I feel like the process should be more in-depth than that. I am also looking forward to improving my writing instruction and incorporating more of Step Up in December. I hope that we can talk sometime soon about what you've been doing-- some of my students need the same thing!
Post a Comment