Reading is something that is so important to me, and in that sense, it seems like such a natural transition for me to become a first grade literacy teacher. I honestly don't remember when I first learned to read. I know that I was reading before kindergarten, and my mom claims I was reading before preschool... I don't remember at all. I do remember begging my parents to teach me how to read when I was really young, and I think that it was eventually my dad who sat down and taught me. I remember from a very, very young age having an awareness of all the letters around me, and that if I could just 'figure out' what they meant, I'd know how to read.
That said, I don't remember what it was like for me to learn to read. I know that it happened quickly. It also caused some issues in my education when I was younger-- I was reading well, well ahead of my grade level, so teachers had to bring in books for me and work with me separately. They tested me on the RI state tests a few times when I was in K-1, and in terms of fluency/decoding/grammar, I passed out of 12th grade level in 1st grade, and in terms of comp, I passed out of 12th grade level in 3rd grade. All of my report cards from early elementary school have notes about "Capable of Reading at College Level," although I for the most part stuck to Boxcar Children in K-1, American Girl Books in 1-2, and then more difficult 'young adult' books from there on up. I honestly have to think that those state tests were not that great though, seeing as how I am certainly not a reading prodigy by any means now.
I have a few different experiences from reading that I remember well. I remember walking into class my first day of kindergarten and crying, because the teacher told me that we would not even start learning our letters until December-- I thought I would be in trouble because I already knew how to read, and she told me they weren't "allowed" to teach that until first grade. I remember in first grade, being walked down the hall to the fourth and fifth grade classrooms during reading time-- I read with their reading groups instead of the first grade ones. I also remember getting so frustrated during 'popcorn' reading because students would stumble over words while I just sat there trying to read ahead without getting caught. I also remember that I was allowed to read when I finished my work, and it was a huge incentive to get through other subjects-- I loved reading that much.
I was very fortunate that differentiation was a part of my reading instruction. My teachers pushed me forward, rather than holding me back. I was on par with my grade in math, science, social studies, etc for the most part... and truthfully, I still don't understand why I was such a strong reader at a young age. I just know it was something that came easily to me.
In terms of how my feelings about readings have changed over time, I kind of felt mediocre about reading in HS and college. I was always strongest in Lit/English in HS, but I had an awful British Lit professor in college who really turned me off of authors that I had previously loved. I think it was just that our styles didn't mesh well, but she definitely took the enjoyment out of reading. I don't read for pleasure nearly as much as I used to, though I would like to get back into doing that. I don't read nearly as fast now as I used to either-- I can remember going through 8-10 books a week in middle school, and now I'm lucky if I finish a book in a month. Reading was such a big part of why I loved learning though, and I really think I should devote more time to reading than I am right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really enjoyed reading your post and this sort of reflection was a nice break from the UbD entries! I like how you described wanting to learn how to read--how it starts with awareness and wanting to know so badly that you can put in the time and the work to learn every letter and sound. I definitely feel like my reading history has similar elements-- I was more of a reader in my early years, and now I've lost that. Being in the meeting with Judy Miller last week made me realize that I have to make my reading more of a priority in order to be a better literacy teacher. What do you think?
It is really funny to read your blog and compare it to mine. Although I still love reading and did a fair amount of it in college and high school I don't read nearly as much as I used to. It is interesting to see how you and I both mentioned boxcar children books and american girl books in our comments of our younger days of reading. I really want to make reading a priority in life again because I truly enjoy it. I think at rocketship we literacy teachers should also have a children's book club where we recommend children's books to one another because I feel like I just don't know what is good children's literature...what are your thoughts?
Post a Comment