Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Entry 1

  • One high point of the week--- I really enjoy my students. I am seeing tons of enthusiasm for learning (especially the past few days-- today, Thurs and Friday) and I think I have found some new ways to improve my teaching [varying my tone, getting the kids moving more, etc]. I'm definitely seeing progress with both classes, but HUGE progress with my afternoon class.
  • One low point of the week-- we're really pushing Responsibility, and yet students are still not upholding the responsibility end of the Core Values. Every day, at least 5+ students are not bringing their homework in each class. I have tried to vary methods of instructing them on Responsibility, yet we're still not making progress.

Related to Classroom Management, two things that are going well:

  • I am seeing some progress with the Behavior System (colored chart). The first week, without fail, I had 2-3 students on red every day, having to write behavior reflections. This week has been much better-- mostly purple/green/yellow and the occasional orange. We're not hitting blue or red every day, which is awesome. It also means I have more time to teach when I'm spending less time moving their clips up and down the behavior system.
  • Kids seem to be taking ownership of their "learning time". They'll correct a neighbor who is misbehaving, pinpoint specific issues and get upset when they need to miss learning time because of their behavior. It seems to be a good accountability system.

Main Challenge/Area for growth in classroom management:

-I think sometimes I keep the kids in one place too long (at their desk/on the rug/etc) and they get bored. Boredom leads to acting out/trying to get attention. Last week, I think I was giving too much negative attention and not enough positive attention. This may have also been contribting to kids acting out just for the attention.

Questions Re: Classroom Management-

1) General bathroom issues. I've been trying to be strict and follow classroom procedures, but the kids are still having major issues. Now I'm erring on the side of caution, but that means that someone is out of the room in the bathroom at all times. Not sure what to do about this?

2) How to deal with serious misbehavior without disrupting the whole class? Alongside that, when is it appropraite to send a child out [swearing, middle finger, etc].

2 comments:

JPFReach said...

The first couple weeks, having students fairly low on the behavior chart, is probably a good thing. It may not be that they're behavior was particullary awful at first, but that you laid down the law and set the expectation for how the rest of the year is going to be.

ali said...

Hi Kate. Let's see you are having some issues with the Spartans, and I am having issues with the Highlanders. They are becoming more familiar with the behavior system which is great. The first two weeks, I know was challenging because we discussed some common frustrations. You were frustrated like I was about the homework not being brought back or not completed. I was right there feeling your pain. However, on the briht side, things are getting better, right? I have seen an improvement and I think you have too. THe Spartans go to the bathroom a lot. I have to remind them that they can only go once during the class period. I see the same kids going every single day or at least 3-4 times a week. At first they were interrupting my teaching to ask to go to the bathroom, but now we went over what the procedure is. They first have to look and see if the girl's pass and boy's pass are hanging by the door, and that means that nobody is out to the bathroom. After determining this, they raise their hand with their index and middle finger crossed, and once I acknowledge them, I nod my head. THat is the signal that the student may get up without disturbing anyone walk over move the clip and take out a card and place it behind his or her number in the pocket chart. I take a minute 2 times a week to practice ok Spartans or HIghlanders or Broncos... show me what you do if you need to go to the bathroom? What is the signal? I don't have all of them or a majority of them going to the bathroom, but it is a few that have to go every day. I liked the comment that jpfreach left about laying down the law so naturally in the beginning the clips are going to be down on a color other than purple or green. Don't you feel they are getting better in some areas? I do. I still struggle some days with the Highlanders, but there are some days too that wow they really do a pretty good job. They have potential and so do those SPartans we just have to be relentless and keep the expectations high!!!